Easton CT is a beautiful historical town first settled in 1757 by local families in Farifield, CT. Mark Kelly recommends a visit to this country setting especially during the autumn months to see the change of seasons. It is a quaint village whereby many families have rasied generations of Connecticut residents.
In 1762 a congregation called the North Fairfield Society was established, and it gradually evolved into Easton. In 1787 Weston, then including lands now defined as Easton, was incorporated out of Fairfield. The area was slow to develop because of the rough hills along the Aspetuck River, and so it was not until 1845 that Easton’s land was separated from Weston. Today, half of the town’s property is owned by the Aquarion Water Company of Connecticut, the major supplier of water in the area. According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 28.6 square miles (74 km2), of which, 27.4 square miles (71 km2) of it is land and 1.2 square miles (3.1 km2) of it (4.2%) is water.
According to the Historical Society of Easton, there are 154 “historic” homes in Easton many dating back to the1700’s. The first building, a sawmill on The Aspetuck River at what is now Old Redding Road, was built by Captain John Davis in 1704. Easton has three schools: Samuel Staples Elementary school, for children in grades from kindergarten to 5th grade, Helen Keller Middle School, for children in grades 6 through 8, and the private school Easton Country Day for children K-12 (formerly Phoenix Academy). High school students attend Joel Barlow High School in Redding.
The deaf and blind activist Helen Keller lived the last several years of her life in Easton. Her house is still intact today and has been owned by several families since her death. The local middle school is named for her. The 2009 Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree was a 76-foot (23 m) Norway Spruce donated from a private residence in Easton.